Position Title: Bookkeeper/Payroll Clerk
Position Status: Nonexempt Part- Time (32-40 hrs. per week)
Reports to: Fiscal Manager
This part-time position will encompass the duties of bookkeeping and HR coordination. This individual will function in an administrative capacity maintaining the general ledger and performing any related accounting functions. This position will also be responsible for compiling all financial information, performing accounts receivable, accounts payable, and monitoring compliance with financial procedures. In addition, this role will also incorporate HR coordination and serve as a resource to all employees with Fiscal/ HR concerns.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Bookkeeping Duties (65%)
- Maintains records according to generally accepted accounting principles including the recordation of general journal entries, and reconciliation of bank statements.
- Process daily Accounts Payable (A/P) invoices and reports using computerized Sage software programs.
- Receive and verify invoices and requisitions for goods and services.
- Prepare vendor checks for mailing and all ACH transactions for payments.
- Prepare manual checks as and when required.
- Manage all discrepancies related to vendors.
- Maintain all debit card transactions.
- Maintain financial documents using an organized filing system as instructed electronically or non-electronically.
- Verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures established by the Company.
- Back-up to Fiscal Manager in A/R, month end closing including preparing adjusting entries, preparing demands, cash flow projections and releasing of A/P checks using the software accounting data base.
- Back up to Administrative Clerk of dispensing petty cash.
- Participates in activities needed to support the management functions of the team.
- Audit preparedness.
- Prepare agency payroll. Check agency payroll, reconcile, and prepare journal entries.
- Processing of garnishments and other related functions to payroll.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Human Resource Duties (35%)
- Preparation of payroll.
- Preparation of insurance schedules and benefit coordination.
- Employment Verifications.
- Responsibility for maintaining confidentiality as required by law and standard practice.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration/Accounting procedures is preferred or equivalent of 3 years accounting experience.
- Experience in non-profit and fund accounting required.
- Payroll skills and use of common bookkeeping software is required. Previous experience in accounting and QuickBooks or related programs.
- Strong knowledge of bookkeeping practices and procedures.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is absolutely required, as well as a track record of reliability, confidentiality, and conscientious work habits.
- Proficient in MS Office, specifically Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Attention to detail with exceptional level of accuracy.
- Ability to interpret data and make cost effective decisions.
- Ability to adapt and work efficiently in a rapidly changing with deadline pressures.
- Demonstrated ability in dealing directly with vendors.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Maintenance and preparation with accuracy:
- Must possess and maintain a valid CA Driver’s License, as well as current automobile registration and insurance. Must have vehicle in good working condition.
- Must be eligible to be employed in the United States.
- Continuing Education required.
- Successful completion of an initial physical exam and follow-up exams every two years.
- Fingerprint clearance, tuberculosis clearance, and child abuse clearance must be on file and submitted according to policy.
- Must be bondable.
- Bilingual where applicable.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables.
- Ability to read and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, map or schedule format.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, teachers, parents, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, and rates.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks, such as operating dangerous equipment or working with chemicals.
- Work involves minimal exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm may be present in the work environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to:
- Regularly talk or hear up to 5 hours a day;
- Regularly sit, write, type, and use a mouse up to 5 hours a day;
- Regularly sit and stand from chair up to 20 times a day;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms;
- Regularly bend, stoop and squat;
- Occasionally drive in dry and wet weather, usually during day light hours, but occasionally during evening hours;
- Regularly get in and out of car up to 5 times per day;
- Occasionally climb stairs and/or take elevator; and
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.